How to lock contracts/splits in place while changing them moving forward
If your contract, or split %, terms need to change after a certain threshold - such as a date range, quantity, or balance - you can explicitly assign contracts to transactions in order to lock those rates in place, while then assigning a new contract to the Release, Track, or Items, so that new transactions added to those containers will use the new contract or split %s moving forward.
For example - if you have a 50/50 deal with a payee for a release which then turns into a 60/40 deal after a certain date, you can assign the 50/50 contract to all transactions up to that date. To do so:
- Navigate to Royalties -> Transactions.
- Add Filter for the Release.
- Add Filter for Paid Timestamp and "Manually Set Times" with an end date of less than or equal to the date and time it needs to change. This will display all of the transactions for this release with a Paid Timestamp up to that date and time.
- From the Actions drop-down bar, select Assign Contract and type in the name of your 50/50 contract. The transactions in your view will now have the 50/50 contract locked in place.
- Create a new 60/40 contract and apply it to the release in the Catalog Manager or Release page in order for all of the transactions after the date to inherit the new split terms.
This method of assigning contracts within a certain date range can be used to lock transactions into a contract based on a specific date range, quantity sold, recoupment balance, and many other contractual thresholds. Use Filters to customize your view to the transactions you would like to isolate, and apply a contract with the Actions drop-down bar.
If you have any questions about your particular situation, please reach out to Support and we would be glad to help!